Hi everyone,

I encountered a weird behavior while computing the hilbert numerator of
certain Stanley-Reisner ideals
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley%E2%80%93Reisner_ring>.

It is difficult to give a short, self-contained, correct example since the
smallest example I can obtain that
produces the bug involves an ideal with ~2500 generators (of degree 2) on
around ~70 variables.

Eventhough the ideal is relatively big, I know what it should look like (i
know the simplicial complex it comes from).
So I remove from the obtained hilbert numerator the correct solution and I
find a non-zero polynomial.

I factored this polynomial and found out that the number:

4294967296 (which should ring a bell)

is a factor of the polynomial!

I produced different examples and this number always comes up when I do not
get the expected hilbert numerator.

It seems that the hilbert numerator uses singular. Can that be that
singular can not deal with very big integers?? Or with too many variables?
Thanks,
JP