Hi

I factored this polynomial and found out that the number:

> 4294967296 (which should ring a bell)
>
> is a factor of the polynomial!

It didn't ring a bell for me, but factor(4294967296) enlightens me. :-)

> It seems that the hilbert numerator uses singular. Can that be that
> singular can not deal with very big integers?? Or with too many variables?

I *think* the first sentence on this page is related to your question:

http://www.singular.uni-kl.de/Manual/latest/sing_90.htm#SEC129

In principle you could get around it using another Hilbert function. You
could try frobby, which is actually in Sage (in mine, anyway), but I've
never used it, so I can't be more helpful, sorry.

john perry