On 4 June 2015 at 09:21, kcrisman <kcris...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 1.  anyone who believes that sqrt(x^2)  is |x|  is mistaken. As Bill Page
>> says, there are two values.
>
> Ah, the old 'function versus expression' debate.  I really missed that.

It is not clear to me what this has to do with 'function versus expression'.

But I do think that the proper treatment of "multi-valued functions"
with a clear and precise definition of the meaning of 'sqrt' and 'log'
are very important.  If 'sqrt' is intended to mean only a specific,
i.e. non-negative, branch then this should be made obvious.  And of
course one would have to evaluate very carefully how this function is
handled.  C.f. a previous long thread on a closely related subject:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/sage-devel/sqrt$20conjugate/sage-devel/6j-LcC6tpkE/qejhD-p8UFUJ