> On 13/06/2015, at 22:30, 'Martin Albrecht' via sage-devel
> <sage-devel@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> On Saturday 13 Jun 2015 10:08:32 Francois Bissey wrote:
>>> On 13/06/2015, at 22:00, 'Martin Albrecht' via sage-devel
>>> <sage-devel@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,

>>> I know I might be outvoted and I haven't volunteered to just do the work,
>>> but I very much disagree with this. Dropping PolyBoRi as a default
>>> package makes Sage *a lot* less useful for me.
>>>
>>> Why does this need to happen now?
>>
>> Because it is a major blocker to getting sage ported to python 3.x.
>> That’s currently the only dependency that doesn’t build with python 3.x.
>> This is also the only thing using scons another currently python2 only thing
>> that we very much want to ditch.
>
> Okay, so the problem is that the Sage library cannot be ported to Python 3
> unless PolyBoRi is? That makes sense.
>
> As a corollary this would also mean that making PolyBoRi an optional package
> would mean to drop it entirely as it wouldn't work as soon as the transition
> to Python 3 is here (?)

I am not sure we will just transition to python 3.x and just drop python 2.7.
There will probably be a period where we work on both python 3.x and 2.7.
Of course 3.x will get more and more attention over time. But while
sage is buildable with python 2.7, polybori could be used with it.

I think Andrew has already done quite a bit of the porting to autotools and
some python 3 fixes. But neither he or I want to be a maintainer - at least
for the long term.

François