Am Samstag, 20. Juni 2015 18:44:30 UTC+2 schrieb Nils Bruin:

> On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-7, Martin R wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand this.  I just traced matrix(2,2,x) and this is handled
>> by _matrix_constructor.  I don't see why matrix(2,2,x) needs to return a
>> diagonal matrix.  Could you please explain what you mean with
>> "matrix(n,n,c) is coming from matrix rings"?
>>
>> See the error that arises if you do matrix(2,3,1).  It stumbles because
> it discovers that the number of  rows doesn't equal the number of columns
> in constructing an identity matrix (i.e., the matrix space in question
> isn't a ring).

Yes, that's quite clear.  _matrix_constructor determines nrows (2) and
ncols (3) and the ring (Symbolic Ring) and calls
matrix_space.MatrixSpace(ring, nrows, ncols)(entries).  This fails, since
entries is a single element.  But the bug is, I'd say, that
_matrix_constructor calls MatrixSpace with a single element.

On the other hand, I don't think that there is any doubt that
MatrixSpace(...)(x) should "work", i.e., interpret a single coefficient
ring element as a scalar matrix.

Martin