On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 3:34:06 PM UTC-7, Martin R wrote:

> What is the bug here? Do you think matrix(2,3,1) should succeed? Do you
> think it should produce a different error message?
>
> No, I think that matrix(nrows, ncols, element) sould fail, unless element
> is callable or iterable.

We'd need to do serious *extra* work and checking for that. Currently, if
MatrixSpace(R,n,m)(L) works then matrix(R,n,m,L) will work too. Making sure
that matrix(R,n,m,L) breaks for some L where MatrixSpace succeeds would
require extra testing and explicit error raising. Would that really be an
improvement? To ensure that the following happens?

sage: matrix(2,2,x+y)
[0 1]
[1 2]

(assuming x+y would be recognized as callable before it is recognized as
iterable)? I think the current answer is less surprising.