On Friday, July 31, 2015 at 3:47:56 AM UTC-7, Dima Pasechnik wrote:

> XML? I wish pandoc (http://pandoc.org/) could handle conversions to and
> from your format...
> Do people really want to write XML by hand? I tried it once (GAP docs can
> be prepared using XML) and was not amused.
>
> Just wondering,
> Dima

Dear Dima,

As you know XML is a very uncomplicated syntax.  Five special characters:
<, >, &, ', ".  And the quotes are rarely an issue (the ampersand is
another story).  Processing XML with a functional language (XSLT) has a
steep learning curve, but that is not an author's concern.  And I have yet
to find a problem in text-processing with XSLT that I had to hack my way
through.  It is all very natural.  The right tool for the job.

As David notes, I am designing a collection of tags and attributes that
will increase an author's productivity, cleanly separate content from
presentation, and allow a variety of powerful output formats that do not
require an author to know LaTeX tips and tricks, HTML, CSS, MathJax, Sage
Cell server, etc.  With a semi-reasonable editor that understands
tag-completion and matching (I use Sublime Text; XML Copy Editor is free
and more powerful) you can become quite proficient quickly.

I used LaTeX for thirty years.  In this project, I've seen even more
clearly all the places it is lacking.  The "XML? Yuck!" factor probably
delayed me from starting this project by three years.  So it was not a rash
decision.  I am scratching my own itch, and it is going quite nicely.  I
write for hours and make almost no syntax errors.  And for anyone who wants
to try - you can always create the (clean) LaTeX output and go back to
using that, so your writing is not locked into this system.

A conversion to Pandoc would be a nice feature.  However, with some of
these simpler markup languages, you discover they are not expressive enough
to create something like a heavily cross-referenced textbook.  Would you
like to contribute a conversion to Pandoc?  You'd have fun.

In the end, I am trying to increase the supply of open textbooks (all
subjects!) by providing an open source tool that is both powerful and
reasonably easy to use.  And with a soft place in my heart for Sage that
has been a primary initial emphasis.   Projects like Tom's convince me of
the utility.  It is an uphill slog, but I'm in it for the long haul.

Thanks for your comments.

Rob