On Saturday, August 1, 2015 at 2:45:16 AM UTC-7, Volker Braun wrote:

> It would be nice if Sage cells would know about which cells they depend
> on; Right now evaluating a cell in the middle is very likely to cough up an
> error message about something not being defined.

Yes, Sage Cells are "linked" with all the others on a page, but you
typically want to execute them in order, so starting in the middle can be a
disaster.  MathBook XML is very flexible about "chunking" - so you can
decide whether a section is a whole web page, or if a subsection is a
webpage, or ...  So you have some control about how many cells are enclosed
as a unit.  (And you should make this decision early while writing Sage
cells!)

There is also the inverse problem of defining some complicated object in a
Sage Cell on some previous page and wanting to reuse it.  This is solved
partially by being able to use a cross-reference from the second page back
to the cell on the previous page.  The code still needs to re-run, but the
author does not need to create and maintain the second version.

IMHO we should think about moving non-technical Sage docs to mathbook.

 Of course, I'd stand ready to help with technical advice and additions to
MathBook XML to support this.  The underlying HTML is meant to be very
semantic/structural/skinnable (without being too impractical), so ideally
it would be possible to retain all the navigation, but also give a
Sage-blue look and branding.

An example with lots of Sage, which has a feel similar to the thematic
tutorials, is at:

http://linear.ups.edu/eagts/

With Sage 6.7, nineteen (out of 417) doctests are failing since the last
update was Sage 5.12, so it needs just a bit of clean-up.  Mostly
deprecations, and rearrangments of output format.