[Top-posted to stop threadjacking the SymEngine post]

Just have the sage-python-library install using pip, assuming your system
has all the dependencies, is almost trivial. The real question is always
how to handle the dependencies, starting at a Fortran compiler. Also, just
to establish a baseline for discussion, Daniel Holth (pip author) said:
"When people ask whether wheel can be used to distribute any other kind of
software or dependency (libsdl, libqt, etc.) I recommend they take a look
at system packaging tools or conda" (comment at
http://continuum.io/blog/conda_packaging).

So IMHO the right solution is to first separate all the C/C++-level
dependencies (gcc, pari, python itself,...) from the Python libraries. We
still need a way to have a "canonical" stack of the C/C++ dependencies to
test against and patch if necessary, but you could switch that for OS
packages (if there is such a thing on your platform). There are various
ways to do this, hashdist being one of them, and we can likely share at
least some of the package maintenance effort with others.

Then sage-the-python-library could just install itself and its Python
dependencies with pip and requirements.txt