Hi John,

On 2015-09-12, John H Palmieri <jhpalmier...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, I think the old database is broken: I think it tries to install
> into some directory which now no longer exists. So I think the one in the
> newest beta is the only option.

In the same way (changed directories, changed import locations) version 2.1.3
and 2.1.4 of my group cohomology spkg got broken. I was told that changing
these directories was an *internal* change and thus did not require a
deprecation period. By other internal changes (Cython upgrade, Singular
upgrade), versions 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 broke as well.

In other words: All versions from 1.0 till 2.1.1 were motivated by
improvements. All versions from 2.1.2 till now were at least partially
motivated by coping with backward incompatible changes.

For the record: I think ANY backward incompatible internal change that *can*
be covered by a deprecation warning (thus, changed import locations,
changed function names or argspecs, etc) *has* to be covered by a
deprecation period, in particular when it breaks some optional package.
Admittedly, internal changes in third party packages (cython, singular) do
not fall into that category.

I thought some patchbots did test optional packages on a more or less regular
basis?

Anyway. Isn't it very convenient that one can say: "The old-style optional
packages are now all broken (by internal changes that did not require
deprecation), thus, let's expunge them."

Cheers,
Simon