On Sunday, September 13, 2015 at 11:31:57 AM UTC-7, William wrote:

> We should break sage up into dozens of smaller libraries that are hosted
> on pypi.  I think  pip is good enough these to support
> install/uninstall/versions/dependencies/c++ code, etc.   Then the code
> you're talking about would be a new package there.  A sage release would be
> a bunch of specific versions that we tested together.  Etc. this is the
> future.

I don't quite see how this is a practical strategy in general. There might
be algorithms and procedures that can be implemented in a relatively
stand-alone fashion, but I expect that most non-trivial mathematical
functionality will work a lot better if it's built to make use of the
infrastructure that we have available, such as coercion framework. The
dependencies of the package would then quickly balloon to be all of the
sage library. Given how tightly coupled most of this is (a little change in
one place often requires at least doctests to be adjusted elsewhere), how
does one take care of the versions of the packages (and the rollout of
those!)?