> Is it possible to make execution of a test depend on the *absence* of a
> condition? Such as
>
>   sage: MatrixSpace(GF(25,'x'),3).random_element()  # optional: meataxe
>   <some output>
>   sage: MatrixSpace(GF(25,'x'),3).random_element()  # optional: not meataxe
>   <some other output>

No. You have to understand that the optional doctests are
"declarative". You can run "sage -t --optional=a_package" even if you
don't have "a_package" installed. Similarly, you are not forced to
mention all packages that are installed.

For a doctest such like yours to work, we would need something like
"sage -t --optional=<I_swear_that_I_dont_have_X>" or something.

The "new" behaviour of automatically testing all optional packages
when you don't specify any is merely "a shortcut".

Nathann