Hello,

> Why would you need that? If you have
>    sage: foo()  # optional: bar
>    1
>    sage: foo()  # optional: no bar
>    2
> then "sage -t --optional=bar" would expect the output 1, and when you
> run "sage -t" then it would expect the output 2.

I only wanted to say that the interface of this "--optional"
parameters means that you can only test one package even if you have
10 available. If, in some situation, I have <bar> installed but chose
to only run --optional=sage, then the 'doctest framework' would decide
to execute 'no bar' tests, even though bar is actually installed.

The code, however, would *know and detect* that bar is installed, and
use it. And so the 'no bar' doctest would break

> And since (if I
> understand correctly) the doctest framework now uses --optional="all
> installed optional packages" by default, this would be rather useful in
> my situation.

If you do not change this value, then indeed that would work. But that
would mean that in practice we should *remove* the --optional argument
and let it be filled automatically. If we don't, we cannot trust that
the value of --optional represents what is actually installed, and
doctests will break for no reason.

> I just don't know if "optional: no bar" is an implemented feature of the
> doctester.

Technically, you can do "# optional no_bar" and run sage
--optional=sage,no_bar. That would work, as it is merely string
matching.

Nathann