Hi Andrey, hi all,

On 2015-09-22, Andrey Novoseltsev <novos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had some random people contact me with questions about the modules I've
> written and I suspect it was due to the AUTHORS block, so it is useful to
> users.

I did the same as that user. And still do now.

Using "git blame" to find out the commit that changed an interesting part of
code, then looking up that commit and then finally finding the author's name
is a very awkward procedure. Looking up the name in the source file is a
lot simpler.

> Regarding git, it took me a while to get reasonably comfortable with it

+1.

> it is unreasonable to expect someone to learn using it
> just for the sake of figuring out who wrote what.

+2.

> And for git blame specifically - it is often ugly when there were multiple
> layers of semi-automated changes in the file and each line has its own
> commit (rather than some logical blocks).

+1.

I started to wonder if the above procedure---browsing the code in "git
blame" (I configured it so that the code is opened in "less"), finding out by
reading and understanding code (!) which lines are interesting, coping the
commit number from the start of an interesting line, leaving "less", browsing
"git log" (again opening "less", searching for the commit number, and finally
reading the author name---really is the simplest way to solve the problem in
git.

If it is---and Andrey seems to confirm---then git isn't suitable for that task,
and we should keep using AUTHORS blocks. We can expect users to be able to read
(the documentation). But we can not expect users (in contrast to developers) to
be familiar with git.

Best regards,
Simon