On Tuesday, 22 September 2015 14:22:14 UTC-6, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> On 2015-09-22 21:24, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
> > I guess he cared more about acknowledgements
>
> There is nothing wrong with caring about acknowledgements.
>
> I usually add my name as author when I feel that I'm contributing
> something new, not just fixing bugs.
>
> Note that the "git blame" doesn't tell much about the effort that people
> put into the code: usually bugfixes or incremental additions are a lot
> easier than writing the code in the first place. Also, sometimes code is
> just moved around or refactored which completely changes the "git blame"
> output.
>
> I think it's theoretically possible for a person X to be a significant
> author to some piece of code, even though "git blame" doesn't list a
> single line authored by X.
>
> Exactly. I think this is the only time I've listed myself as an author of
a function:
https://github.com/sagemath/sage/blame/master/src/sage/geometry/hasse_diagram.py
It required me quite a bit of time to read a paper to understand the
algorithm, throw away optimizations that I judged irrelevant for Python,
and write the code which was orders of magnitude faster than its previous
implementation in Sage (the current bottleneck is poset constructor,
getting input data for it is fast). I am not visible in git blame at all
among 5 people that are. Plus github mysteriously shows only "1
contributor" (Nathann visible after clicking the link) under the name of Marc
Mezzarobba (who was the last contributor and whose contribution was to move
a reference to another file). From this git does not seem to be designed
for showing who wrote the code.

Jeroen.