On Wednesday, 7 October 2015 17:15:14 UTC+2, Jeroen Demeyer wrote:

> Is there any reason to assume that porting using MSYS2 is easier than
> porting using Cygwin? Because the latter is already hard enough.

Cygwin is personally of no use to me (native applications like Julia can't
work with it). I don't think I've ever downloaded a Sage Cygwin binary. For
one, it's bloated and too slow.

Cygwin in not considered a native environment by serious Windows
developers. It's a Linux on Windows, nothing more. It doesn't even try to
play nice with native applications or the Windows ABI.

The main reason for the existence of the MSYS2 project in their own words
is "better interoperability with native Windows software".

It also has a proper package manager. It's really, really fast. It has a
posix layer. It has proper Windows exception handling (including zero
overhead exceptions) and supports a couple of different threading models.
Basically it's an extremely high quality piece of software engineering.

> I can the main "elephant in the room" is the POSIX layer. Many pieces of
> Sage assume some kind of POSIX environment.

Cygwin also provides a POSIX environment, so I'm not sure I understand why
this is an "elephant in the room".

Bill.