On Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM, Dima Pasechnik <dimp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Friday, 9 October 2015 07:44:55 UTC-7, Volker Braun wrote:
>>
>> Looks great; The two restrictions
>>
>> *   * You must not remove this section of the text, containing author
>> *
>> *     attribution, copyright notice, and legal disclaimer.
>> *
>> *   * You must clearly mark modified versions of this software
>> *
>> *     as differing from the original.
>> *
>>
>> are explicitly allowed by GPLv3 section 7:
>>
>> b) Requiring preservation of specified reasonable legal notices or author
>> attributions in that material or in the Appropriate Legal Notices displayed
>> by works containing it; or
>> c) Prohibiting misrepresentation of the origin of that material, or
>> requiring that modified versions of such material be marked in reasonable
>> ways as different from the original version; or
>>

> well, we rather talk about having the following copyright:
>
> nauty is copyright (1984-2013) Brendan McKay. Traces is copyright
> (2008-2013) Adolfo Piperno. All rights reserved. You must not remove this
> copyright notice, and you must document any changes that you make to this
> program. This software is subject to this copyright only, irrespective of
> any copyright attached to any package of which this is a part.

Unfortunately this license doesn't even grant permission to use the
software.   For example, the BSD license starts: "Redistribution and
use in source and binary forms are permitted ...".   By default,
without an explicit *grant* of rights, all rights are reserved.   In
fact, the copyright notice above very explicitly states that "all
rights reserved", which means: "It indicates that the copyright holder
reserves, or holds for their own use, all the rights provided by
copyright law."

I hope you can convince Brendan to pick a standard license, or just
guide him into choosing BSD 2-clause:

   https://opensource.org/licenses/BSD-2-Clause

It's basically what he wants, except for "you must document any
changes that you make".   I still have absolutely no idea what that
statement is supposed to mean.   However, it's either trivial (due to
revision control), so should not be included, or it actually means
something, so it is GPL incompatible.

During the first few years of Sage I got around 10 projects to change
their licenses.  I never ever considered having any of them make up a
new license.  That's a difficult path, since it is copyright law and
we are not lawyers.

 -- William

--
William (http://wstein.org)