One solution with long doctest is to (optionally) flag them with a time indication

 # long 30sec
 # long 1min
 # long 1hour
 # long 3year

Then, when testing we could add an option to skip the one which are too long for our purpose

sage -t --all --skip-longer-than 2min

And I think that the default could reasonably be 10sec.