Thank you all for the discussion and recommendations ! (it's nice to
develop within such a responsive community)

I've updated the ticket #18529 <http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18529>
accordingly, removing UniqueRepresentation for manifolds and charts and
letting them inherit directly from WithEqualityById. See comment 52 on the
ticket for details.

I've also updated the follow-up tickets along the same lines:

- #18640 <http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18640>: the algebra of scalar
fields on a topological manifold does no longer inherit from
UniqueRepresentation, but from WithEqualityById
- #18725 <http://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/18725> : same thing for the
manifold homsets

Best wishes,

Eric.