On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 2:12:43 PM UTC-6, Nathann Cohen wrote:

> Hello Jori,
>
> We should of course state such things as clearly as possible in the
> doc, that's an mandatory step.
>
> In some cases, however, the users call functions without knowing
> (subfunction of other things), or just won't look at the doc, or just
> won't even profile the code (not everybody knows how) and 'just wait'.
>
> Somehow, we already have documentation for those who know what they
> are looking for, and know where to look for it. But some people could
> be surprised to learn that a function can use different
> libraries/algorithms, and those are the guys I would like to inform.
>
> If we can find a nice way to do that.
>
> Nathann

It's easy to go overboard with holding the user by the hand. We can assume
that when things get _too_ slow for a user, he or she will start looking
for a speedup, which they might find inside SageMath, or elsewhere. We give
them the tools, we give them the documentation; how they use that is up to
them. We're already holding our students by the hand way too much with
participation credit, quizzes, graded homework and  midterm exams. Let's
not start holding our end users by the hand too, and focus instead to have
the best possible software with the best possible interface and the best
possible documentation.