(A large part of) the problem is that mathematics are broadly perceived by
people in position to decide what to do with them ("deciders" later on) as
a set of engeneering tools, and often reduced (even in universities !) as a
computational gizmo. The fact that it is also (firstly ?)  an important
branch of the art of thinking totally escapes the majority of our
"deciders".

Presenting mathematics as the formalized branch of metaphysics (which it is
!), may help those "deciders" to understand why mathematics may help
students (and, more broadly, citizens), to become more skilled at thinking,
enabling them to be more autonomous and more productive (and feer...).

Now, it may be true that our "deciders" are not interested at helping the
students to become more autonomous, productive, and therefore free. Most of
them seem to think that their job is to provide the powerful in society
with cheap and obedient slaves... The use of mathematics as a repellent for
"unsuitable" students is probably related...

[ François : I cannot speak for veterinary medicine, but I'm pretty certain
that large parts of (human) medicine is currently ill-understood because we
do not think about them with the right structures... ]

The same thing could be said, *mutatis mutandis,* about the teaching of
history, humanities, foreign languages, literature and philosophy.

Hope this helps (but deeply doubt it...),

--
Emmanuel Charpentier