On Wednesday, January 6, 2016 at 11:55:36 AM UTC+1, Min RK wrote:

> If we truncate instead of virtual-scroll, then we have a choice for
> whether truncated output is included in the document or not, which
> alleviates the problem of opening notebooks that have a problematic amount
> of output

There is no fundamental problem with large amounts of output (really, any
content), and there is essentially only a single way to do it right:

The view (dom) needs only a fixed number of dom nodes for a virtual scroll.

The in-browser view model can lazily load the current scroll position, with
a suitable cache. Fixed amount of browser JS memory.

The server can just mmap the output file, or alternatively seek around in
the file. With a suitable index. Fixed amount of server-side memory.

The kernel has to block if the notebook server can't append output fast
enough, thats normal flow control just like in a pipe. Fixed memory usage
in the kernel.