Another con I just discovered:
* You have to learn markdown to do anything useful in plain old text.

Don't tell me this isn't a con.  (If it's not accurate, please tell me!  I
just couldn't figure out how to get

Now, I know enough md to get by.  Lots of people use it.  Lots of *other*
people (see, I used it!) would rather have at least SOME whizzy-wig
capability.  'Cuz why else does the interface I'm using right now in Google
Groups have things *like this or **this* or even bullet lists to click
(perhaps they use TinyMCE themselves)?  It should be just as much about
reducing learning curves as the "right" solution.  I hate having to
remember if links are [like this](url) or (this)[url] or even [url like
this] (oh wait, that's the Trac style).  Google lets me do this
<http://www.sagemath.org> with a simple click.

To be productive on this front and not just complain, I did a fair amount
of searching for wysiwyg or tinymce and jupyter and found almost nothing.
Could this be a replacement?  https://github.com/bollwyvl/nb-wysiwyg  I
also found this nice article
<http://jupyter.cs.brynmawr.edu/hub/dblank/public/Jupyter%20Notebook%20Users%20Manual.ipynb#4.-Using-Markdown-Cells-for-Writing>

which (correctly) claims "Why is Markdown better? Well, it’s worth saying
that maybe it isn't. Mainly, it’s not actually a question of better or
worse, but of what’s in front of you and of who you are. A definitive
answer depends on the user and on that user’s goals and experience. These
Notebooks don't use Markdown because it's definitely better, but rather
because it's different and thus encourages users to think about their work
differently."  But not everyone, especially those instructors in a hurry,
have time to think about that on a first try.  If they end up writing a
book I hope they do!  But if they just want to make an example for class
it's a bit much.

Hopefully Jupyter will be able to have an option to have wysiwyg
eventually, though I understand that might conflict with their design
goals. In which case their design goals are not really for
non-programmers.

Practical example, lest someone think I'm beating up on a straw notebook
interface:
Someone makes an awesome 3d plot in Jupyter with vectors and parametric
things in red, blue, and green, labeling different things.  Now in the main
body of their text they want the same output, so they can talk about green
tangent vectors, blue normal vectors, and red curves, or something, in
those colors.  Lovely stuff.  They Google how to do this in md and get:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19746350/how-does-one-change-color-in-markdown-cells-ipython-notebook
Result: the text stays all black for the presentation they have to do in
ten minutes.