On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 2:21:34 AM UTC-8, Volker Braun wrote:

> I would argue the opposite, making local accounts is exactly what you
> usually do to let users run their own programs (i.e. execute arbitrary
> code).

I would agree with that. However, one would also expect that a notebook
server that can manage accounts for, say, a class, allows
creation/modification/deletion of accounts via the web interface it
provides (via its admin account). It's of course entirely doable to expose
enough of adduser (etc.) capability via webscripts, but I don't think it's
presently done in notebook solutions.

It should be doable in a secure manner, though; particularly in a
tmpnb-type interface where everybody gets their private virtual machine
anyway.

In fact, if you're going to integrate with an LDAP anyway, then you'd have
a fairly authoritative source for account data anyway. You could just make
them on demand.