> Like for matrices, to come back to the topic?

Indeed, repr(a_matrix) doesn't follow Python's syntax. And list of
matrices is even worse:

    sage: [matrix.ones(4) for i in range(4)]
    [
    [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]
    [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]
    [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]  [1 1 1 1]
    [1 1 1 1], [1 1 1 1], [1 1 1 1], [1 1 1 1]
    ]

> Also, is the Sage output primarily for humans or primarily machine-parsable?

Do you think we should switch to utf8 globally? That would require a
crazy patch (to update all doctests). We can't really have the
'doctest mode' output ASCII while ipython outputs utf8, as otherwise
writing new doctests may become *very* complicated.

Hmmmmm... To me switching to utf8 sounds tempting, though I expect
that there will be many headaches ahead that I don't see yet.

Also, while it is true that nobody may have complained about the utf8
banner, perhaps they just don't care enough to tell us.

Err.

Something important: a couple of months ago I was in touch with a Sage
user who happens to be a blind mathematician. He stopped using the
other softwares because his "text reading software" couldn't be used
on that output. He was litterally thanking the Lord on the phone when
I got him to compute the derivative of a polynomial in Sage, and that
he could actually *hear* the output, read by his software.

If we switched to utf8, we would close Sage to him.

:-/

Nathann