On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 7:23 PM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
> Conda more or less passes all four, and there are only two other systems
> (Nix and Gentoo prefix) that do. Its main issue is that all of the build
> scripts are incredibly naive. For example, the source-based install
> routing for PostgreSQL is,
>
> https://github.com/conda/conda-recipes/blob/master/postgresql-9.3/build.sh

I would note that the build scripts on the conda-recipes repository
are "community supplied" and, it is pointed out, "not necessarily the
same scripts used to build the packages in Anaconda".  That is, it's
possible--likely even--that for some packages Continuum has their own
build recipes.  That said, I also know that they often start with, or
just use outright recipes from conda-recipes for adding new packages.

> It also has few packages compared to Nix or Gentoo. Building packages
> from source is complicated, and there are a ton of corner cases and
> weird features that you need to support. It also quickly becomes
> necessary to have some way of sharing code.

I don't the the number of packages is a fair comparison.  It's not an
operating system--it started out for bundling scientific Python
software and nothing more.  But since much of that software had
non-Python dependencies anyways...

> So the tl;dr is, Conda looks promising because they haven't made any of
> the stupid mistakes (a) - (d) that immediately doom a package manager.
> But they're still 15 years behind. Why start over?

Start over with what? It's an apples to oranges comparison.