> This thread is first and foremost about reducing the friction involved in
making code that depends on the Sage distribution available to the world.
> Based on feedback I get from users, this friction is a very, very
significant problem to the growth of Sage.

Let me recall something that comes up often, but that I haven't seen yet in
this thread nor at the Sage days. Just two weeks ago I was said: "We are
going to make our student write code in Magma, because we want something
future proof. We've used Sage a couple of times before, but each time Sage
updates break our code in <1yr, and it takes too much work to know why and
update our code".

Let me stress that these are highly skilled researchers who develop amazing
software and have a very deep knowledge about programming. One of them
develops a library that is a core piece of infrastructure for Magma, and
which is responsible for a good fraction of the benchmarks where Magma
crushes Sage. If we could make these people stick to Sage, I can only
imagine benefits for us.

I have this experience myself, though, being more involved in Sage, I make
the effort to patch my code to work with the latest stable. At some points
in time, it has even been impossible to have code that works both with the
latest stable and the latest beta (and/or the version in SMC). This is
something that should only happen at major version bumps, if ever.

Of course, this is not easy to solve, but having a more modular
distribution (at least for some meaning of "modular") might help.

--
Luca