On Monday, April 11, 2016 at 2:57:16 PM UTC+2, Erik Bray wrote:

> Sage, unfortunately, hasn't made many pacts in this regard

Sage does have a very clear way of making symbols available on the
commandline, namely via accompanying all.py files. We can either use that
to define our public api (which it de facto already is when you use Sage
interactively), or go through every module and sprinkle around underscores.
Only one of these two is realistic.

This needs to be complemented with automated testing. On the Sage side, so
that the public api does not accidentally change. Equally important, we
need a mechanism for consumers of the api to avoid fragile dependencies on
private structures. This could be via unit testing, a linter, or an import
meta hook.