On 2016-04-12 21:58, William Stein wrote:
If 3d plotting were in a separate python library we would enforce it
working in a new release in precisely the same way we do so now with
standard packages.   Install and test it.

Which is very much a pain right now with SageNB. I find it a bad thing that SageNB is a separate project while it's still tested within Sage itself. It's in maintenance mode right now but it breaks doctests now and then if something in Sage changes. That is really annoying because a trivial commit now involves making a new SageNB release. Not fun!
I would in fact advocate to merge SageNB back into Sage proper.

My conclusion is that we need to treat those packages either as truly separate packages or as truly part of Sage. Anything in between (like SageNB currently) is bad.