On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 8:04 PM, mmarco <mma...@unizar.es> wrote:
> My proposal would go in the direction of having three categories: optional,
> experimental, and external. Optional and Experimental would follow moreless
> what we have now, external programs that provide some functionality, and we
> keep them in our packaging system because we cannot rely on them being
> provided by the distro (or maybe we could, but we need some patching or
> specific version). They are more tied to "Sage the distribution" than to
> "Sage the library".
>
> What I propose to call external packages would be something different. They
> would go in the spirit of sage/python code writen by sage users for their
> teaching/rsearch/whatever. In that sense, they would be in spirit closer to
> "Sage the library", but the Sage development team would make no promises
> about it (since it wouldn't go through the review process). They could be
> provided by any of the usual ways to install python modules (pip,
> easy_install...) but we could have some kind of database to do some
> automatic testing. We could even distribute them (as optional packages or
> calling them dfifferently). I think providing a template and howto for the
> people that wants to share this kind of code is a good start. A next step
> would be to maintain a database  and maybe include some automated way to
> install them.

+1 I think this is in the right direction.  And I think that some of
the existing leaf packages of the core sage-lib could be
re-distributed in this form.  But as Vincent has repeatedly written it
would be more important to have this infrastructure and process in
place than it is in most cases to decide specific things to *remove*
from sage-lib.  Even though I think there are things that should be
split out I could agree it's not as urgent to do so, and it should be
handled with great care.

This is Astropy's "database" of affiliated packages (similar to what
you're calling "external packages"):
https://github.com/astropy/astropy.github.com/blob/master/affiliated/registry.json

I've argued a few times (but without much action on my part) that it
should be more detailed, including summaries and separate detailed
descriptions of the packages' contents, links to their documentation
(which is sometimes different from their home page) so that their
objects.inv can be downloaded easily for inter-sphinx, and possibly
even the commands to run to build, install, and test those packages
(in most cases these are the same since most of these packages use a
template that provides all these features).

Erik