On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 02:11:46PM +0200, VulK wrote:
> This example is dumb because it does not give any real benefit but it will
> do. On the command line you could run something like
>
> sage: B = matrix()
> sage: B.T.roo<Tab>
>
> and get
>
> sage: B.T.rook_vector
>
> but
>
> sage: sage: B.transpose().roo<tab>
>
> will complete to useless stuff.

I remember William mentioning a while ago on sage-devel a discussion
he had with Fernando about this. Fernando was saying that in IPython
they had deliberately not implemented tab completion involving results
of method calls (as above), because it would break too often (as we
are witnessing with our properties hanging or raising
exceptions).

This sounds like a sane default indeed. Yet this is very annoying
in Sage given our heavy usage of method calls.

So, I am wondering whether we could discuss this again with the
IPython/Jupyter team, so that users could explicitly request tab
completion on results of method calls. This could be through some
global option, a specific gesture (such as hitting tab several times),
or an interactive question ``do you really want to tab complete on the
result of a method call?''.

Thinking twice about it, I guess I'd like the following: hitting tab
once raises the question ``do you really want to tab complete on the
result of a method call? hit <tab> again if yes. this may break horribly.``

I changed the subject of the thread, as we are deviating topic.

Cheers,
                                Nicolas
http://Nicolas.Thiery.name/