On Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:34:38 AM UTC-7, William wrote:

> On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 10:30 AM, rjf <fat...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
> > So you should claim authorship and copyright, and then declare that
> others
> > may
> > use it under whatever restrictions you determine.  Personally, I find
> the
> > MIT or
> > Berkeley licenses much better than GPL, since they let anyone use the
> code
> > for any purpose and don't insist on other conditions.
>
> Curious: I always imagined that you were the main force behind the
> open sourcing of Maxima.  Why is the Maxima license GPL instead of MIT
> or Berkeley?

I was the main force in making the Macsyma code available via the Dept. of
Energy
(a principal, but not sole, sponsor of the Macsyma project at MIT.)  The
powers
at MIT, including my de facto advisor, Joel Moses, wished to take advantage
of a
gov't rule that gave the academic institution ownership rights to software
developed
under gov't sponsorship.  Through a somewhat convoluted process this
resulted
in the sale of exclusive commercial rights to Macsyma to Symbolics Inc.
In retrospect I think everyone would concede this was a bad idea.  I forced
MIT to
put a copy officially in the Dept of Energy software library; they put a
broken copy
there.  I fixed it up to run "out of the box" on DEC VAX computers running
Berkeley UNIX  (or, with some help, VAX/VMS).  It was not yet free because
DOE
charged a few hundred dollars, and as a concession to MIT did not allow
redistribution.
This version used Franz Lisp which we wrote at Berkeley. Franz Lisp was
free/open
part of Berkeley UNIX.
Bill Schelter modified the Macsyma code and added extra pieces and got it
running
under Kyoto Common Lisp (which he changed and named Austin-Kyoto Common
Lisp)
and then became GCL.

Bill also conferred with DOE and asked for permission to release
DOE-Macsyma under
GPL.  At that time DOE was, I think, giving up on their library business,
and so agreed.

I think they would have equally well released it under BSD or MIT open
source license
if Bill had asked for that. I read the permission letter as a "whatever"
 permission.

I had some discussion about the appropriateness of GPL, but Bill's untimely
death cut
that off.

My view then, was  that a company with some expertise and resources could
have taken the DOE Macsyma code and possibly acquired the commercial
Symbolics
Macsyma code (by this time the company was defunct), and improved/
supported/ the code.
Putting it under GPL was more-or-less poison to such enterprises, RedHat
etc to the
contrary.  The market for Macsyma would be much smaller than Unix.

Why did Symbolics, and then later Macsyma Inc, a spin off, fail?  1. They
wanted to sell
hardware (Lisp Machines) even though the real winner for the software was
VAX and
Sun hardware [the enemy of Lisp machines]. 2. (I suspect) A collection of
incorrect
decisions at the marketing and management level.

Has GPL achieved its goal with respect to Macsyma / Maxima?
Yes, there is no  secret version for sale.

Side effect: There is no commercial support for it;
at least to my knowledge, not a single person has
earned a single penny "selling" Macsyma or services, or add-ons.
Side effect: The possibility of research funding from a commercial
enterprise is essentially zero.  (huh, you say?)   Historically, the
Maple company sponsored research at Univ. Waterloo, in the area
of computer algebra.

Given the paucity of NSF or other gov't funding for academic research,
some schools have found substantial support from private companies.
I think Sage has received small grants from Microsoft.
My institution / department has received massive amounts of funding
from companies like Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc.   I don't know if
these donors would have been turned off by GPL.

http://ipira.berkeley.edu/about-us  is the web page for Berkeley
intellectual
property management;  they used to be grossly incompetent regarding
software, but I don't know about this now.

Given the possible continuing govt funding drought for Sage, it would
be ironic if the founding principle for Sage --of GPL for everything --
turns out to be a factor in its financial difficulties.    On the other
hand,
I am not claiming that a commercial enterprise "doing Sage" would
be so successful that it would spread money far and wide to researchers.
I would not expect investors to find grounds to support Sage Inc.
It seems to me to be a very small market to try to sell software to
mathematics professionals. (cf. Magma).
I have advised students to seek other software project areas if their
primary goal is to make big money from some startup.

Anyway,  the simple answer to the original question is -- I wanted a more
open license for DoE Macsyma, but  GPL was Bill Schelter's choice, and
people seemed to like it that way.

RJF