On Tue, Jun 7, 2016 at 9:24 AM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2016-06-07 08:55, Erik Bray wrote:
>>
>> In fact Cython used
>> to advertise a CythonBuildExt command (i forget of that's exactly the
>> name) that overrides the default build_ext command to also compile
>> Cython modules as needed.
>

> This still exists in the Cython package, but they no longer document it. It
> doesn't do dependency checking, so it doesn't work as well as cythonize().
> For example, packages using cysignals cannot be compiled using this custom
> build_ext class, only with cythonize().

This should probably be fixed.  Do you know if there has been any
discussion about this or just a lack of maintenance?

It's definitely a better approach to doing things, and if it happens
to not do everything cythonize() does that is easily fixed.

>> That said, you still need to have a fallback for when Cython is
>> missing.
>

> I don't mind assuming that Cython is installed. It makes things a lot
> simpler.

Users will mind, I guarantee it (in fact, why I ship most Cython
source tarballs with the C sources already generated--then don't have
to worry about user having a broken version of Cython, etc.)