Ralf Stephan wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 10:00:34 AM UTC+2, Ralf Stephan wrote:
>
>     The giac and giacpy packages are now one year optional (#12375). Since
>     pynac-0.6.6 (#20742) has optional support for giac, and uses it to
>     fix a bug,
>     as well as a much faster GCD, I'm proposing to make the giac/giacpy
>     packages
>     a standard part of Sage. In a recent thread we could also read about the
>     speed of its Gröbner basis implementation.
>

> There were no negative arguments to this. Also meanwhile, a standard
> installation
> would ease Pynac's task of handling potentially different libgiac versions
> with different needs that may be installed system-wide.
>
> So what would be the next step in this procedure?

Strip the latest version offered by Sage? ;-)

12M     giac-1.2.0.19.tar.gz
44M     giac-1.2.2.37.tar.gz
41K     giacpy-0.5.6.tar.gz

Haven't examined why it has grown by 300% in a minor version update though.

Otherwise additional ~12 MB to the Sage tarball would IMHO be ok; it
exploded during the last few years anyway...

-leif