On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 9:20:55 AM UTC, Simon Brandhorst wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have written some code (toy implementation) in sage. It could be useful
> for other people as well.
> So now I am wondering whether I should make an effort to implement it
> meeting the sage-devel standards.
> How good are the chances for such a project to be included in the sage
> source code?
>

> So here is the project: LatticeWithIsometry
> where a lattice L is a free abelian group equipped with a non-degenerate
> symmetric bilinear form (ZZ or QQ valued). An isometry f is a ZZ-Module
> automorphism preserving the bilinear form.
> So we want to model (L,f)
>
> Functionality:
> - constructor for ideal lattices - that is lattices (+isometries) cooked
> up from irreducible reciprocal polynomials (think of the cyclotomic
> polynomials) and their trace forms
> - gluing of lattices. That is taking a direct sum
> (L,f) + (N,g) and getting integral overlattices compatible with (f,g).
> - describing the action of the isometry on sub/super lattices such as the
> dual lattice L' or quotients such as the discriminant group L'/L
> - a method to decide whether a given isometry of a hyperbolic lattice
> preserves a chamber of the positive cone cut out by the root hyperplanes
> (this relates to Weyl groups)
>
> A possible reference for this is:
> http://www.math.harvard.edu/~ctm/papers/home/text/papers/pos/pos.pdf
>
> My personal aim in this is to model integral hodge isometries of K3
> surfaces or IHSMs.

Sounds like a lot of fun; my latest personal foray into this was doing some
computations in
http://arxiv.org/abs/1604.05836
(with Lemma 2.11 attributed to me :-))
and I'm still trying to understand whether I can publish anything
meaningful out of it.

It would be interesting to what extent your package can do computations in
that paper.

Just in case,
Dima