On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Jonathan Bober <jwbo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2016 at 7:18 PM, 'Bill Hart' via sage-devel
> <sage-devel@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm pretty sure the charpoly routine in Flint is much more recent that 2
>> years. Are you referring to a Sage implementation on top of Flint arithmetic
>> or something?
>

> It is just a problem with Sage. Sorry, I thought I was clear about that. I
> assume that no one has been using the algorithm='flint' option in Sage in
> the last two years, which makes sense, because most people aren't going to
> bother changing the default.
>

>> The only timing that I can find right at the moment had us about 5x faster
>> than Sage. It's not in a released version of Flint though, just in master.
>

> That sounds really nice. On my laptop with current Sage, it might be the
> other way around. With Sage 7.3 on my laptop, with this particular matrix, I
> get
>
> sage: %time f = A.charpoly(algorithm='flint')
> CPU times: user 1min 24s, sys: 24 ms, total: 1min 24s
> Wall time: 1min 24s
>
> sage: %time f = A.charpoly(algorithm='linbox')
> CPU times: user 13.3 s, sys: 4 ms, total: 13.3 s
> Wall time: 13.3 s
>
> However, perhaps the average runtime with linbox is infinity. (Also, this in
> an out of date Linbox.)
>
> I think that Linbox may be "cheating" in a way that Flint is not. I'm pretty
> sure both implementations work mod p (or p^n?) for a bunch of p and
> reconstruct. From my reading of the Flint source code (actually, I didn't
> check the version in Sage) and comments from Clement Pernet, I think that
> Flint uses an explicit Hadamard bound to determine how many primes to use,
> while Linbox just waits for the CRT'd polynomial to stabilize for a few

If it is really doing this, then it should definitely not be the
default algorithm for Sage, unless proof=False is explicitly
specified.   Not good.

William

> primes. I have no idea how much of a difference that makes in this case.
>

>> Bill.

>>> Well, I'm sure you've done one or two things in the meantime that will
>>> allow me to forgive this one oversight.

>>> Yes. As I said, this comment, and the design change, is ancient. In some
>>> limiting testing, linbox tends to be faster than flint, but has very high
>>> variance in the timings. (I haven't actually checked flint much.) Right now
>>> I'm running the following code on 64 cores, which should test linbox:
>>>
>>> import time
>>>
>>> @parallel
>>> def test(n):
>>>     start = time.clock()
>>>     f = B.charpoly()
>>>     end = time.clock()
>>>     runtime = end - start
>>>     if f != g:
>>>         print n, 'ohno'
>>>         return runtime, 'ohno'
>>>     else:
>>>         return runtime, 'ok'
>>>
>>> A = load('hecke_matrix')
>>> A._clear_cache()
>>> B, denom = A._clear_denom()
>>> g = B.charpoly()
>>> B._clear_cache()
>>>
>>> import sys
>>>
>>> for result in test(range(100000)):
>>>     print result[0][0][0], ' '.join([str(x) for x in result[1]])
>>>     sys.stdout.flush()
>>>
>>> where the file hecke_matrix was produced by
>>>
>>> sage: M = ModularSymbols(3633, 2, -1)
>>> sage: S = M.cuspidal_subspace().new_subspace()
>>> sage: H = S.hecke_matrix(2)
>>> sage: H.save('hecke_matrix')
>>>
>>> and the results are interesting:
>>>
>>> jb12407@lmfdb5:~/sage-bug$ sort -n -k 2 test_output3 | head
>>> 30 27.98 ok
>>> 64 28.0 ok
>>> 2762 28.02 ok
>>> 2790 28.02 ok
>>> 3066 28.02 ok
>>> 3495 28.03 ok
>>> 3540 28.03 ok
>>> 292 28.04 ok
>>> 437 28.04 ok
>>> 941 28.04 ok
>>>
>>> jb12407@lmfdb5:~/sage-bug$ sort -n -k 2 test_output3 | tail
>>> 817 2426.04 ok
>>> 1487 2466.3 ok
>>> 1440 2686.43 ok
>>> 459 2745.74 ok
>>> 776 2994.01 ok
>>> 912 3166.9 ok
>>> 56 3189.98 ok
>>> 546 3278.22 ok
>>> 1008 3322.74 ok
>>> 881 3392.73 ok
>>>
>>> jb12407@lmfdb5:~/sage-bug$ python analyze_output.py test_output3
>>> average time: 53.9404572616
>>> unfinished: [490, 523, 1009, 1132, 1274, 1319, 1589, 1726, 1955, 2019,
>>> 2283, 2418, 2500, 2598, 2826, 2979, 2982, 3030, 3057, 3112, 3166, 3190,
>>> 3199, 3210, 3273, 3310, 3358, 3401, 3407, 3434, 3481, 3487, 3534, 3546,

William (http://wstein.org)