The probabilistic early termination does not take much time here, the
charpoly stabilizes at about 85% of the primes required to reach the
Hadamard bound. Testing with a few random matrices, I often get
stabilization at about 80% (+/-10%), in this situation I think it's best to
wait a little more and return a deterministic answer. The sitation is
different for determinants in the generic situation where the last
invariant factor is big. For the matrix of this thread, the lif is however
small, and certifying the determinant does not cost much, like for the
charpoly (I get the det in 1.7s and the charpoly in 3.1s with giac 1.2.2-89
vs 0.9s and 6.8s for sage 6.9). This matrix is also special because it has
a double eigenvalue 155789435562191565856, the minimal polynomial has
degree 171-1.