On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Francois Bissey
<francois.bis...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>> On 17/10/2016, at 22:42, Erik Bray <erik.m.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Release early, release often. In my experience in the last 8 years,
>>> especially release often - it has slowed down a bit, but it is still
>>> often by any means.
>>
>> I'm afraid that's just not very useful--it's a platitude.  It's
>> especially made worse by the lack of maintenance branches and patch
>> releases.  I agree patch releases should be frequent.  For a project
>> like sage feature releases should be fairly frequent too, but with
>> care not break compatibility.
>
> Platitude or not, that’s the reality I have been experiencing.
> Maintenance branch (or LTS release) have been brought up before,
> usually by people coding for a living, but it never got anywhere.
> I am fairly certain that it is a factor in said people getting less
> active over time.

Right--sorry--I didn't mean to sound dismissive.  It's not a bad
policy either but it helps, both developers and users, to have some
guidance.

> To move to the kind of release schedule you are talking about
> we’ll need a new release manager who has the vision for this kind
> of things.

Not necessarily--Volker does a good job.  This isn't just something
for a single person to dictate, but rather something that needs to be
worked on as a community to decide what's best.  As long as the
release manager is active in that discussion, they don't necessarily
need to have the "vision".  It does help to have someone write a
prototype (either based on existing community discussion or just by
fiat, to be discussed after).  But that can be anyone involved at a
high level in the project.