On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Jori Mäntysalo <jori.mantys...@uta.fi> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2016, Francois Bissey wrote:
>
>> To move to the kind of release schedule you are talking about
>> we’ll need a new release manager who has the vision for this kind
>> of things.
>

> What is Volker's vision? I.e. do he have some plan in his head about when to
> release 7.6?

I suspect probably.  I don't believe it's ad-hoc.  But I don't know
that this is documented.  I find it strange, personally, that this is
left entirely up to the release manager and not by some larger
consensus.

> I think that having two branches is just too much. In perfect world we could
> have LTS with bugfixes only and so on, but we have not enought manpower for
> that. But we could have some kind of decision like "7.6rc0 will be out at
> the end of April 2017."

I think it's rather bad to not be doing this.

What some large projects do, like Python, is to have multiple release
managers where each person is in charge of a specific release.  So you
can have a release manager specifically dedicated to upcoming patch
releases who take care of backporting fixes and the like.  This isn't
often too much work--most fixes are easy to backport--only a few
aren't.

The release managers work together, but meanwhile you have someone
entirely else in charge of getting the next feature release out.