On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 4:48 PM, Jeroen Demeyer <jdeme...@cage.ugent.be> wrote:
> On 2016-10-17 16:32, Erik Bray wrote:
>>
>> If a critical
>> bug is found in released software it makes absolute sense to
>> prioritize a release for that bug.
>

> First of all, there have occasionally been bugfix releases of Sage:
> * http://www.sagemath.org/changelogs/sage-5.0.1.txt
> * http://www.sagemath.org/changelogs/sage-5.4.1.txt
> * http://www.sagemath.org/changelogs/sage-6.1.1.txt
> * http://www.sagemath.org/changelogs/sage-6.4.1.txt
>
> Such critical bugs are very rare in Sage. I cannot recall any bug in a
> released version of Sage in the last year or so that would justify a bugfix
> release. Remember that Sage is tested well before releases, on the patchbot,
> on the buildbot and by developers running beta/rc versions.

Bug fix releases are good even for non-critical bugs.  Just because
"Sage is tested well before releases" doesn't mean there are not bugs.
It's great to be able to get fixes to users quickly without having to
go through a longer release testing process that is necessary for
bigger releases with more features, new dependencies, etc.  This will
be especially important as we move toward trying to better decouple
sagelib from its dependencies in how it's developed.

I'm also not sure how you're defining "critical bugs".  I think all
bugs are fairly important to fix within the framework of a manageable
maintenance cycle.  Having such a cycle means you get those fixes out
to users faster--as Francois wrote "release early, and release often".
Again, I apologize for dismissing it as a "platitude".  It's a good
mantra, especially for bug fixes.  It's just not a *plan*.