(1) Why should a nonsquare matrix even have an "is_similar" method? Can we
get rid of that? (Same for "determinant" and some other methods.)

(2) What is the definition of similar?

  (a) Two matrices M and N, both square of the same size, are similar iff
there is an invertible matrix P so that M = PNP^{-1}.

or

  (b) Two matrices M and N are similar iff there is an invertible matrix P
so that ...

--------

I vote for version (b) of the definition, so I vote

BB

We don't raise an error when asking if M == N for matrices of different
shapes, so why should we raise an error for M.is_similar(N)?

  John