> On Oct 27, 2016, at 10:47, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just curious:  what choice does magma (or maple or Mathematica etc) make
> regarding this?

Magma acts as follows, when the matrices are square, but different sizes, or
when one or both are non-square:

> M1:=Matrix(ZZ,2,2,[1,2,3,4]);
> M2:=Matrix(ZZ,3,3,[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9]);
> IsSimilar(M1,M2);

>> IsSimilar(M1,M2);
            ^
Runtime error in 'IsSimilar': Arguments are not compatible
Argument types given: AlgMatElt[RngInt], AlgMatElt[RngInt]

That’s “sort of friendly”…

FWIW, I’d like it to blow up when deep in a computation (something is seriously
borked at that point); at the prompt, ???

HTH

Justin

--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large