On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 4:56:42 PM UTC+1, Maxie Schmidt wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been working back and forth between Sage and Mathematica for a
> while now trying to learn how to use Sage to replace Mathematica's core
> functionality in my day to day use of it. One of the (sets of) functions
> haven't yet found a suitable open source alternative for is related to
> guessing formulas and generating functions for an input sequence (as in
> Mathematica's FindSequenceFunction and FindGeneratingFunction). Related
> functions are Mathematica's RSolve (
> https://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/RSolve.html?q=RSolve) used to
> solve recurrence relations in closed-form formulas, and the closed-source
> RISC Sigma package (
> https://www.risc.jku.at/research/combinat/risc/software/Sigma/index.php)
> which is able to generate recurrences for many sums and simplify sums
> involving harmonic numbers.
>
> The closest open source alternative I have come across so far is Rubey's
> software written in FriCAS described at
> http://axiom-wiki.newsynthesis.org/GuessingFormulasForSequences. However,
> looking at the source code for the package leaves quite a bit of work to do
> to reproduce the output of the Mathematica functions mentioned above. Is
> there a better open source alternative to the Mathematica functions
> FindSequenceFunction and RSolve that I'm missing in Sage?
>
> If there isn't a good complete replacement for using Mathematica's
> routines for sequence formula guessing and solving recurrences, I'm
> interested in trying to write functions / packages that will replace
> Mathematica for these tasks. I have already done some work in Sage related
> to guessing formulas for special polynomial sequences in my Master's thesis
> at UIUC posted at https://arxiv.org/abs/1609.07301. Any suggestions or
> links to related open source software are appreciated.

Open source alternatives to Mathematica would be most welcome.

The ore_algebra package allows guessing holonomic sequences
(http://www.risc.jku.at/research/combinat/software/ore_algebra/doc/guessing.html)

but there is nothing in Sage for closed forms, Stirling-type sequences or
multi-sums as far as I know.

Fredrik