Le samedi 03 décembre 2016 à 10:07 +0100, Jeroen Demeyer a écrit :
> On 2016-12-02 12:50, Emmanuel Charpentier wrote:
> > Le jeudi 1 décembre 2016 23:47:40 UTC+1, Volker Braun a écrit :
> >
> >     On Linux, you can build Sage with and without openssl. If you
> > ever
> >     hit the network
> >

> > Who doesn't ?
>
> The 95% of Sage users who just uses Sage for computations and
> doesn't
> want to install any packages.

Hmmm... Where do you pull your "95%" figure from ?

> That's why I'm against depending on system OpenSSL: you are adding
> an
> extra hurdle for everybody

It's, at worst, an extra dependency. Of which we already have some lot
(see README.md...).

> for the benefit of a minority of users.

Again : why "minority" ?

And why do you postulate that Sage and its components have a vocation
to stay self-enclosed and forever stable ? The activity of the sage-
devel list shows that  the ability to update, upgrade and extend Sage
is important.

That is true, with severe aggravation, for R : while essential, the
"core" functionality of R is small (if not tiny) when compared to the
9000+ packages available. an unextensible R would be as useful as a
teaspoon to empty the Mediterranean...

On the top of that, Sage itself uses the net extensively. It uses tens
of Python packages, which need maintainance and possibly extension.

I'm afraid that your "average user" who "just uses Sage for
computations and doesn't want to install any packages" is about as
mythical as Ronald Reagan's "welfare queen" : a nice strawman useful to
hide a serious problem.

(In fact, two serious problems : Volker's explanation of Apple's root
certs problem makes me think that this is, for Mac users, even more
serious : they are chained to "the Apple" store" for the life of their
Macs. More of this as an answer to Volker's post).

It remains to be seen if our "openssl" package allows a Sage system,
initially compiled with, say, GnuTLS, to use, say PIP. That could be an
hypocritical but efficient workaround.

HTH,

--
Emmanuel Charpentier