For the hell of it, I tried this installer on a "spare" Windows VM.

Bravo, bravissimo ! Now, there might be some use to all those Windows
boxes...

I tried to install some optional package ; it turns out that the installed
setup isindeed  minimal :

(sage-sh) charpent@DESKTOP-P0B7HOE:~$ time ( for i in database_gap dot2tex
giac giacpy_sage ; do sage -i $i ; done )
/opt/sagemath-7.4/src/bin/sage: ligne 302: make : commande introuvable
/opt/sagemath-7.4/src/bin/sage: ligne 302: make : commande introuvable
/opt/sagemath-7.4/src/bin/sage: ligne 302: make : commande introuvable
/opt/sagemath-7.4/src/bin/sage: ligne 302: make : commande introuvable

Either that or the necessary utilities are out of Sage-subshell's reach.

A bit of Windows-specific documentation is needed. A (relatively)
inexperienced user should not have to struggle to find :

   - How to open a cygwin console (as opposed to a Sage subshell) in the
   setup created by the installer.
   - What (and how) to install in order  to install optional packages.
   - What (and how) to install in order to recompile (e. g. testing a git
   branch).
   - A pointer to Cygwin docs.
   - Advice about what should be installed under cygwin and what should be
   installed outside (e. g. emacs, TeX, various Unix-like tools).
   - Advice about how to use Sage-installed programs outside of Sage (e. g.
   Maxima, lisp, Python, etc...).

I'll play a bit more with that setup (and, of course, report errors an
quirks). But my first impression is that it *is* a vast improvement over
the VM solution.

A big "thank you" on behalf of Windows-stranded users !

--
Emmanuel Charpentier