Hi sage-devel,

Our current polynomial implementation has severe issues:

- Our speed for GF(2^e)[x] is abysmal.

- For other cases we are probably not linking to the currently fastest
  libraries.

- We don't have multi-point evaluation or fast Lagrange interpolation,
  even though the libraries we link to often have this.

- Bruno Grenet remarked at SD75 that there were issues and lots of
  crufted code in the class structure handling generic/specific and
  dense/sparse/etc. polynomials.

- Jeroen Demeyer remarked that the Cython code is from the prehistoric
  era and has lots of cruft from back when Cython was a lot more
  primitive than it is now.

- add more things yourself.

Considering how central polynomial arithmetic is in many parts of
algebra, I think this is bad, and it impedes gradual improvement (e.g. I
am at a loss on how to improve the GF(2^e)[x] thing which is my personal
main itch).

I would be interested in co-mentoring such a GSoC project for improving
this. But I lack understanding of, especially Cython and linking. I
would like to know if someone else would be a co-mentor with me on this,
or technical advisor on e.g. Cython issues.

Best,
Johan