On 2017-03-15 19:00, Kwankyu Lee wrote:
The following statement from PEP8 is quite definitive:

    __double_leading_and_trailing_underscore__ : "magic" objects or
    attributes that live in user-controlled namespaces. E.g. __init__ ,
    __import__ or __file__ . Never invent such names; only use them as
    documented.

That's true but I don't like that they don't say what you should use instead. I think the alternatives are even worse (see my initial post in this thread).

One minor "harm" that I can think of is that an uninitiated person may
misunderstand __pari__ as a new python magic attribute and look for it
in python manual :-)

Let me mention again that such names have been invented in the past, like __array__ for NumPy. As far as I know, this is not at all controversial.