> I am starting this debate because of discussion I had earlier
> in #22670. It was pointed out to me that there was no policy
> of avoiding `sage.misc.package` and I would very much want one.

This seems very reasonable, given how much work is going into such
packaging.  As a first approximation for 2) (we don't want to give up that
auto-testing) - is there any easy way of auto-disabling the auto-discovery
of installed packages on "distro" Sage versions as opposed to
Sage-the-distribution?  (Is there an easy to way to test for which
situation one is in?) That would obviously be a hack, but maybe a better
hack than the status quo, I truly don't know.