> On 5/04/2017, at 11:25, Nils Bruin <nbr...@sfu.ca> wrote:
>
> On Tuesday, April 4, 2017 at 4:01:50 PM UTC-7, François wrote:
>
> With the current system you could install and then remove
> some essential files manually and the doctesting framework
> would still try to use it. It is installed according to the
> packaging system after all. runtime testing would have a better
> chance to avoid broken packages.
>
> Hm, I don't see that as an advantage. A broken package shouldn't be just
> avoided, it should be reported, so that it can be repaired or uninstalled.
> Just silently avoiding broken functionality makes it harder to diagnose.

Ha, I was thinking of a different kind of broken. I was thinking
of user mistake, you are thinking of systemic problems.

I guess the doctesting framework could output a list of software
not tested because it thinks it is absent or not working.
A discrepancy could be spotted but that is not as direct, I agree.

François