El viernes, 31 de marzo de 2017, 4:30:03 (UTC-6), Erik Bray escribió:

> On Fri, Mar 31, 2017 at 12:10 PM, Eric Gourgoulhon
> <egourg...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> > Le vendredi 31 mars 2017 10:51:29 UTC+2, Erik Bray a écrit :
> >>

> >> I would still suggest they use Docker...
> >>

> > OK, I've answered to the ask.sagemath user accordingly. Please correct
> my
> > answer if necessary (I am not using Windows myself, nor Docker...).
>
> Thanks, looks good to me.  I can imagine some cases where the Docker
> images may not be sufficient for some users, but honestly I think it's
> a better UX in general, though perhaps not without its own learning
> curve?

The problem is (for windows users) that docker for windows runs only on
Windows 10 professional editions, not home editions nor previous editions
of windows  (most users are then excluded from the start)
And you can't use docker under the WSL on windows either (there are some
blogs that tell you how to use a mix of docker under wsl and native, but
the native part will work only on Windows 10 pro).

So as a windows user I can only use it via a virtualbox image (which is
kill if you only need to do light calculations) or use the cloud (not
available without internet).

sidenote: jupyter notebooks work just fine under native windows python and
also under the WSL